Friday, September 20, 2013

2013 Antelope Hunt Day 3

Woke up at my normal time which was very early by Wyoming time.  After trying to get back to sleep for a little while, I got up and was able to get a good enough hotspot internet connection to do a few things on-line.

The elk hunters in camp were leaving much earlier than Art and I, so I stayed out of the way until they were nearly gone.  We talked a bit about the guiding business and had a great breakfast before heading out.

Quin and I had a little over a half hour drive to Area 50.  Once on the ranch property, almost immediately a decent pronghorn was in front of us and paying very little attention to us.  Quin said he was, "about average" and I didn't want to shoot the first animal I saw, despite the nearly perfect conditions and close range.

We drove around for a few hours and saw many, many, many antelope.  I'm sure the number was in the hundreds and there were several decent bucks.  I was ready to go after some, but Quin wanted to look over a good number first (and he was right).

While most of the antelope were skittish and we saw a fair number hauling out of the area, a few were very content to have the truck nearby.

As the weather heated, the wind picked up a little, but still a very tolerable level by Wyoming standards.  We saw three bucks that were really decent compared to the lot we saw through the day.  We talked going back to the first really good one which had decent mass and a lot of curl, but a similar sized animal was seen on the hill not too far away.  We decided to try a stalk.  I was glad to get out of the truck, and predicted getting busted quickly but I wanted to see what we were in for in trying to get close to the speed goats.

As we stood by the back of the truck, the buck crested the hill again walked toward us a little; he appeared curious and wary of us, before he headed back over a second hill behind the hill where we first saw him.  Quin decided to drive up a little closer and we headed quietly out of the truck and up the hill.

Once near the top of the hill, we could clearly see the buck.  He was still wary, but curious enough that he walked toward us and then back again a few times.  The range was right at 160 yards which was well within my comfort zone, but he spent most of the time staring straight at us.  There was also a sagebrush that was high enough in the way to be concerned about at the crest of the hill.
After a few minutes which seemed like about an hour he ran back a few more yards which allowed us to go slightly higher on the hill to get above the brush.  Range was now right at 200 yards and I had a clear sight of him in the scope.  After quite a bit more time, he turned broadside and Quin asked me how I like the sight.
I took a few deep breaths and contemplated the shot.
Boom.  Rifle shots in the Wyoming wide open sound a lot different than in the close in deer woods.

At the shot, the antelope turned and sort of ran away.  I had seen a big puff of dust in front of the animal and was worried about a miss, but Quin said he looked hit, although possibly low.  We waited a few minutes before walking to where he was standing at the shot.  As we walked up, we saw an antelope near the far side of the bottom of the hill.  The animal kept running, stopping and looking over at us over and running.
The antelope kept going farther and farther away.
My heart sank as I was seeing an afternoon chasing a possibly very poorly hit animal, if he was hit at all but it was the right thing to do.  The shot had felt right, but the puff of dirt was worrisome.
After talking about it for a bit we started down, but I took a short walk to the left, closer to a small draw on the hill.  Quin looked down the draw and handed his binoculars to me, "What do you think of that."
Less than 100 yards down the hill lay my antelope on a big sagebrush.  The other antelope we had seen was just another antelope; Quin had thought it looked smaller than the one I shot.

We walked down to the animal and I was thrilled, even more than thrilled.  The shot had been low, but took out the bottom of the lungs, broke several ribs which caused a lot of damage and shredded the liver.  Chaulk one for Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Quin brought the truck around and we took some pictures before gutting it and caping it for a mount.  After the work was over, we headed to drop it off to be processed.  Normally I do my own butchering, but with the warm temperatures and long drive home this just made more sense.  I also left the cape, and would need to coordinate that with a local taxidermist used frequently by the lodge.

Back in camp we hung out at the lodge for a while and then went out to tour the area they hunt in Area 52.  As with Area 50, antelope were numerous and again there were some decent ones.  This allowed me to get a few more pictures of unpressured antelope.  Had I known there were this many opportunities for pictures, I probably would have taken the better camera.

Country ribs for dinner that night was excellent again as we shared a few stories.  The elk hunters in camp had one more day and they were itching to put more animals on the ground.

After further reflection while trying going to sleep, I was ecstatic about my first antelope hunt.  Even the short-lived low of seeing the second speed goat run away added something and is a spectacle I won't soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment