Saturday, February 4, 2012

2012 Pig Hunt Drive Home Day

Got up very early to a wet morning as a light rain had fallen overnight.  Showered and packed up the rest of my stuff while drinking a quick cup of coffee.  I was out the door by 5:00.
Traffic was predictably light until I got near Columbia when the State Capital rush hour required much more attention.  Once headed north, traffic again lightened up.  After crossing into North Carolina a while later, signs warned that a rock slide on Interstate 40 west had the road closed.  I scrambled to look at the GPS and map to remind myself of the route taken in 2009 when I-40 was also closed from a rock slide.  I proceeded through Asheville to US25 through the mountains.  This route is pretty, but with lots of long stretches where passing was prevented.  There were only a few slow cars and within a reasonable time, I was back on I-40 in Tennessee.  Traffic between Knoxville and Lexington was very heavy with trucks and there seemed to be a disconcerting level of aggressive truck drivers as well.  Perhaps they were trying to make up lost time from the long route around the I-40 closure.  The three-lane interstate after Lexington made the traffic seem more tolerable.
I was home in about 11 hours total drive time which allowed me to unpack and do laundry.  The dogs were very happy to see me.  I deboned the hog and ground up about half of the meat and had it in the freezer by early afternoon.
Time to sleep, and go to work tomorrow.  I need my next adventure already...

No comments:

Post a Comment