Friday, July 25, 2014

Motorcycle Trip Out West 10 Years Later, Day 7, 8

Total Mileage 2103.0 (180.7 for the days)

July 24 is Pioneer Day in Utah which is a pretty big state holiday, especially in and around Salt Lake City so everyone had the day off.

Morning was spent around the house though, helping unpack remaining boxes and putting up mirrors, etc. in the bathrooms. After we had all accomplished things there, we packed up the car and bike to head up to the cabin for the day and night. The plan was to take both vehicles since J1's friend (I guess she would be J3?) was going along and fitting six people in a Prius is probably not prudent for a couple hour drive to the mountains.

We followed D up to the cabin and stopped at the lodge at the base of the mountain roads, hoping to park the bike there. The gravel roads to the cabin can be generously described as "rough" and the final driveway is very steep with gravel and loose dirt. When we talked to the people at the lodge, they weren't too excited about having an extra vehicle there with the busy weekend. The woman did eventually say we could park there, but I wasn't too comfortable about the situation at that point. I can't blame the lodge people given that it could be very possible to have lots of people wanting to park all manner of vehicles there.

I could also have left the bike at the forest service parking area which probably would have been fine, but that would have left it in a very uncontrolled environment. I decided to take it to the cabin. Ten years ago (the trip where the title of this adventure comes from), I took my Harley Davidson Electraglide up to the cabin on the inaugural christening of the cabin. It was just an harrowing then, but I didn't know the condition of the roads and driveway. Ignorance is bliss.

I carefully made my way down the dirt road on my plastic 800 pound bike, doing my best to avoid the largest rocks and potholes. Once at the driveway, I started up it but managed to stall about half way up. Whether I was on a steep section or not doesn't matter, since the entire driveway is pretty steep. I was able to roll back and rest the back tire on a rock to get the bike started and moving forward again, with some slippage of the rear wheel; none too comforting.

I successfully made it to the cabin, keeping the bike upright the entire time. A decade ago, I said I would never take my bike up to the cabin again, and I'll say it this time too. Maybe I should just buy a Suzuki V-Strom.

Once at the cabin, we changed out of motorcycle clothes we goofed around for a while, shooting pellet guns and hooting around. The cabin is a pretty amazing place and it was fun hanging around with J1 and J2.

After some time we had an amazing dinner of buffalo T-bone steaks which were some of the most tender buffalo I've ever had. The night ended with a rousing game of spoons until we all turned in after dark.

---
July 25

We woke up to a beautiful quiet mountain morning with very cool air. The cabin sits near 11,000 feet and the cool air was a welcome respite from the last few days heat. The morning mountain sunrise, as it has been during past visits was nothing short of stunning.

After a breakfast of yeast raised waffles and bacon, J2 and I took the four wheeler up Dead Man Mountain and hiked nearly to the top. I've done this same ride and hike several times before and it never ceases to amaze me how gorgeous and quiet it is up near the tree line. We sat at the highest point and the only sound was the wind in the trees. Even the usual din from ATV traffic was non-existent.



Back at the cabin we played a few games shot the pellet guns more before a quick lunch and heading back home. The trip down the steep gravel driveway is different, but just as uncomfortable as the trip up. But, I was able to crawl down and carefully ride the gravel roads out. Once at the exit, the police and/or forest service had set up a checkpoint. I wasn't sure if I needed a forest pass on the dirt roads, but what could I do. I asked the officer who stopped me if I could pull forward to the asphalt around 30 yards ahead and he kindly said that was fine. I was glad since he stopped me on very soft sand. All he did was checked my license and registration and thanked me for my time.

From there, we headed back to D's house and did some more unpacking and hanging of mirrors. This was interrupted by a great taco dinner before finishing the chores and calling it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment