Tuesday, November 7, 2017

2017 Mule Deer Hunt Day 8 Home

I really wanted the free hotel waffles, but I wanted to be home more.  So I left about an hour before the free hotel breakfast started, grabbing an apple on the way out.  I don't think hotel guests must eat much fruit since the apple was questionable at best.  I'm probably glad it was dark in the truck when I ate it.

The hotel was right off the freeway, so I was up to speed quickly.  Traffic in the early morning was predictably light.  Temperatures were near freezing, with high winds.  The winds on this entire trip east have really killed my gas mileage with one fuel fillup showing less than 20MPG (I routinely have been getting closer to 25 at home).  A strong cold front has been doing wacky things with the weather all over.  Temperatures at home were more like early fall and there were tornadoes in Northern Ohio.

I listed to Short Stories edited by Stuart Dybek.  It was ... not good.  One story was about a Wyoming rancher which was pretty good.  The rest were not really worth the time to listen to them.  Once it was finally over I relistened to the first part of The Billionaire's Vinegar.  The rest of the books on my USB drive will be saved for my  next trip in my truck.

Travel went fast and I had lots of time to think about my mule deer hunting adventure.  It had all the ups and downs I would expect and hope for on a hunting trip.  I got to hang out with a good group of guys.  I got to see more deer than I probably saw in my entire life combined, including a lot of phenomenal bucks.  More than that, I got to be around deer that see little hunting pressure.  And as the end of the hunt was in sight, I got to stalk a mule deer in true Wyoming fashion with snow on the ground and a Western wind blowing.

Travel went fast and soon enough I was off the interstate getting close to home.
The dogs seemed happy to see me.  I unpacked the truck, but didn't unpack everything inside as it isn't immediately imperative; it will drive me nuts for a day or so, but I'll just have to deal with that.
I did take care of the mule deer meat.  The dry ice had kept it cold and some of it was frozen rock solid.  This made it hard to debone it, but I kept at it and got about 40-50 pounds of meat.  It will probably be a few days until I  actually try it.

Before heading west a week previous, I sort of thought that mule deer would be a one and done thing.  I really didn't think I'd do it again - I was wrong.  As soon as I can, I'll be sending Wyoming my money to start buying more deer preference points.  Sadly, it will be a few years until I get enough to hunt Jim's other areas to the South that will be a different kind of experience.
And that is what it is all about; it gives me something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment