Friday, August 31, 2018

2018 Bear Hunt day -1

We've had a few of those oddly cool days that remind us that summer really won't last forever.  But the cool days were short lived and the past several days have been more like mid-July than the end of August.  While the hot and humid weather makes it easy to get excited about fishing, it makes it a bit harder to get excited about bear hunting ... until the last few days.

I dealt with a few things at work before spending most of the day getting a rather complicated (for me) macro to do what I wanted it to in eXcel.  I'm glad I got figured that out as there is a risk I would have thought about it too much.  My inbox was gloriously down to zero by the time I ate lunch at my desk.  I left a very empty work, as the Friday before Labor Day meant many people were already off or were "working from home."

Once at home I felt like I was dithering around while packing the last few things.  Soon enough I was on the road.
Starting out on the small 2-lane roads near home, I almost immediately got behind an evil motorhome.  This is not a good way to start.  Despite the fact that I had lots of time, passing him as soon as possible was the only option.
There was one road-closed construction zone which I had pre-scoped a short route around and it was on to the interstate.
Traffic around Indianapolis was just starting to pick up, but I made my way through.  It was a little unnerving having a tractor trailer hauling granite slabs lose a tire shortly after I passed it.  The noise was crazy loud and the result could have been terrible.
Once out of the Indy area traffic lightened only slightly and there was lots of construction.  My massive but cheap Styrofoam cooler came partially loose so I ended up getting off the interstate and pondering a better fastening system.  I use the term "better" loosely.  After getting back on the interstate, I decided that if I have more issues with it, I'll throw it away and buy a better (real) cooler in Duluth!

SO had kicked me out a day early as she was worried about me driving a zillion miles in one day.  Or maybe she just wanted me gone - who knows.  The hotel room was gratis, but I got to it wwwwaaaaayyyyyy to early.  I easily could have gone a couple hundred more miles.  But when the reservation had been made, I didn't know if I'd be able to escape work early and even the distance I did go will help for the next days journey.

I ordered in Chinese food for dinner.  The scallops were quite good and the shrimp were huge.  It was a good thing I had my ice cream spoon as they didn't have the foresight to give me a plastic fork.  The garbage went right outside as I didn't want to smell the leftovers when I woke up in the morning.  Then it was watching TV until I made myself tired enough to call it a day.
Tomorrow the adventure really starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment