Saturday, September 8, 2018

2018 Bear Hunt Day 8 - A Rainy Final Day in Camp

The weather forecast was for rain, but only a moderate chance for a few hours.
The final Manitoba morning sunrise was surprisingly nice.  As before, I threw the lure a little bit partially as an excuse to see the sun rise.  The clouds, while anticipating rain added a surreal quality to the scene.

After breakfast the Arizona crew went looking for the one guy's bear.  I went fishing with Max.
We went back up to the general area where I had caught the big pike on the previous day.  Action was good - probably better than the previous afternoon, but not for the big guys.  Still, I'll take pike after pike after pike any day.  There were a few good fish in the mix though.

There were also a handful of good smallmouths brought in.  Pound for pound, these smalleys do fight better than most fish.


Sadly, my magic lure broke.  Making things worse, the only other white spinnerbait I had was destroyed by a pike when it ate the skirt.  Luckily another spinnerbait did yeoman's duty for the rest of the morning.

On the way back to camp the rain started - first as a light shower then to a full-on rain.  The wind picked up as well, making the final few miles in the boat a little less fun than the great weather that has been experienced so far.  Once in camp it poured for a short while before raining most of the rest of  the day intermittently.

Back in camp the Arizona crew was gone; the bear wasn't found.  It was a bad shot; frustrating.  It does happen.

After lunch I wasn't sure I wanted to go way up river to fish in the rain, especially with the threat of heavy rain so there was a bit of down time.  When it lightened up I did want to go, but Max and I went down river to bait bear stands instead.
Baiting bear stand is fun as well and there is always a chance to see a bear when walking in; while this might be intimidating, I was hoping this would have happened.
There were a few other people fishing in the area and I can only guess what they thought we were doing by beaching our boat and walking into the bush for 15 minutes or so.  If I saw that, I'd assume it was a grow operation and maybe go snooping.  I'm sure it happens.

Once done baiting we went to tie up the downriver boat.  I was pushing off some rocks and ended up slipping and basically falling in.  I got out quick, but not quick enough as my borrowed boots filled with water and my pants and feet were soaked.  I guess this is all part of the fun...

Dinner that night was excellent Mexican food made by Max's girlfriend.  It is a little odd, maybe even awkward being the only person left in camp.  Yet, it was fun too as I got a chance to talk to everyone at dinner and after. 

As it got later, I knew I needed to pack some stuff up and prepare for the drive in the morning.  Bear camp was quickly coming to a close.


No comments:

Post a Comment