Friday, December 27, 2019

Patagonian New Year Day 1 - At Least a Start

Most of my packing was done on Christmas Day.  So after getting up the day after, I quickly finished getting ready to head out.  As it got light, I leashed up BOTH dogs and headed out for a walk.  Since this was going to be the last walk for them for a while, I though they both needed one.
I spent the rest of the morning watching TV (ugh) before heading to the airport way too early.  Being early meant no need to rush, which was nice.  Thankfully, the long term parking had spots available right up front.

I was expecting mayhem and long lines for the day after Christmas at the airport, but I made it through security within about 10 minutes and walked to the gate.  Even at the gate the terminal was very quiet.  Not what I expected, but I'll take it.
I can't help but wonder if this bird lives in the terminal, or flies in and out for free food.  Given how unafraid it was of me - at one point it was eating some crumbs right at my feet - I suspect the former.  I guess it isn't too bad a life since the weather is always good and there are no predators.  But it is a little sad at the same time.  How often do people get pooped on though?

I started reading Bruce Chatwin's In Pagagonia - one of the classic Patagonia travelogues from the 1970's.  It was pretty good, but I almost needed a translator in parts, not for the Spanish, but for some of the very British text.  At the end of the Introduction to the book, there is a not-so-subtle jab:
"We should write something on the gringos who come here [Patagonia] with In Patagonia," says Fabio Roberts de Gonzalez, who sings in the choir.  "It's their Bible."

Eventually, it was time to board an EMB140 and take off.  The plane was small but tolerable for a two hour flight.  Thankfully the guy in front of me didn't recline.
Landing in Miami it was partly cloudy and sticky-humid - exactly what Miami wants to be.  The Miami airport was more of what I expected for the day after Christmas, with lots of people and a bit of mayhem.  I made my way out of the terminal and called the hotel for the shuttle.
It took a very painful amount of time to get picked up.  At one point, I saw the van, but it didn't stop.  I did eventually get picked up, but it took about as much time to fly from Ohio to Miami as it did to get from the plane to the Four-Points Sheraton...

My sister-in-law was able to help get my room at a substantial discount which was nice.  But when I was checking in, it gave the appearance that I was spending the night with her in Miami.  I suppose that will be Exhibit A in the divorce proceedings?
Before heading up to the room, I checked how long the restaurant was open, "Ten minutes, better order now."  I was famished; the burger was good.

It wasn't a good start that I wasn't feeling so hot - I know it is mostly due to the stress of commercial air travel.  The hotel room was really nice, but the road noise, even six stories up, was not insignificant and the window shades did only some to darken the room.
Still, the Patagonia adventure had started.

No comments:

Post a Comment