Saturday, September 3, 2022

2022 Bear Hunt Day 8 - Pooh's Blustery Day

I woke up to a different Manitoba as it was cool and breezy.  The change in weather made me hopeful that both the fish and the bears might be a bit more cooperative.
So after breakfast Mark took Bill and I out for fishing.  The temperature was almost perfect and the wind picked up through the morning.  Initially we were going to jig for pike, but we ended up casting most of the day.  We went through several bays and inlet streams and hooked into a few fish, but the fishing was a bit slow.  I did have one large pike follow my spinnerbait right up to the boat and jump part-way out of the water, but I didn't see it in time.  We were fishing the same bays as the bigger boat with Dave and Matt/Austin/Erik, but they seemed to do much better as they had several fish in the 30-inch range.

After lunch we headed out for bears.  Chris took Gene and I upriver and I was dropped off at the Seagull Shit Island stand.  I don't think I've hunted this stand previously.  It is a more open stand and I was able to get relatively comfortable quickly.

Not too long after getting situated, a boat came into the bay as people were probably fishing.  I've had this happen before and it likely doesn't affect the bear hunting much, but it is a bit annoying to hear people murmuring in the background.  Thankfully, they must have only done a cast or two and were gone.
The wind was significant through the afternoon and the tree the stand was in was really tall, this made the stand sway quite a bit.  It made me think of Winnie the Pooh and his blustery day.  I'm not sure thinking of a child's story while hunting actual bears would be universally thought of as appropriate, but after 25-30 hours on the bear stand, I will allow my mind to go where it wants to.

Not much was moving until it started to get a bit darker and I saw movement behind the barrel.  A bear was running around in the thick brush.  I had a hard time judging its size.  I knew it wasn't a monster; I also knew it was the second-to-last day.
After watching it for around 15 minutes (maybe?  throughout the late afternoon I didn't look at my watch much so my timeline may be skewed), it came into the barrel.  I could still see it wasn't huge for sure, but its back was above the barrel which I decided was good enough.  I lined up the shot and squeezed the trigger.  The bear spun 180 degrees and dropped almost silently to the ground.  I was glad I had a bear down.  I also realized the bear was likely going to be much smaller than I thought since when it came in, it was standing on a log a bit behind the barrel - making it look much larger.
After ensuring all movement had stopped, I walked up to the bear.  It was small - very likely smaller than even my first bear.  I should have given it a few more minutes to size it up.  I was still happy - with the tougher bear hunting, I may have shot this guy deliberately on the last day.  My shooting was near perfect with a devastating exit wound.  The meat will be beyond excellent and the front shoulders will smoke wonderfully (in my experience, larger bear shoulders can end up being so tough that even long smoking times don't make them tender).

I put out my orange and climbed up in the stand to pack up my stuff and wait.  Chris and Carter came in a short time later.  We took a few pictures and easily packed the bear to the boat.  We went and got Austin who had only seen one very small bear.
Back in camp, there was a total crap-show as a huge motorhome driver had moronically driven down into camp and gotten stuck on the rock by the lodge.  A "tow truck" - which was just a dually pickup with a winch came to get it out.  They did get it out, but it was not pretty.  I've always known motorhomes are evil - some drivers lack common sense too apparently.

The guys in camp were gracious.  Most of them probably privately thought that the guy who has been on seven bear hunts must be a water-head for shooting such a small bear.  Maybe they are right.
Dinner was really excellent ribs.  The Utah guys were making plans to head out and hunt in the morning since none of them had filled their tags.  

As my memory serves, in the beginning of the book Winnie-the-Pooh and the Blustery Day, Pooh goes to his "Thoughtful Spot."  This felt apt on a couple levels.  First, I'm unbelievably fortunate to go on one Manitoba Bear Hunt, let alone seven.  Even more so, I'm fortunate to be able to take a small bear and use it as an excuse (as if one is needed) to hopefully return again.  With nothing to prove to anyone, I can enjoy hunting and fishing for what it is.
Beyond this, 2022 has not been an easy year.  SO's knee injury blew up hog hunting this year and required months of the two of us figuring things out.  Isla died - and I still miss that dog terribly.  Work has been a horror show, and when I find myself saying to myself too often, "I only have to do this for xx more years." I know that I desperately need perspective to survive those years.  And with my ongoing canine issues now at home, there are days I question how I'm going to get through.

Spending a week hunting and fishing with interesting people has been therapeutic (with a full day of fishing still to go).  So maybe Manitoba has been my "Thoughtful Spot" this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment