Sunday, August 20, 2023

2023 Combat Run Days 1&2 - Brits and Old Friends

This isn't smart.  I've only had 1 weekend home.  I've got another big adventure just around the corner.  The lawn is long enough I'm surprised one of the farmers around home haven't asked to bale it yet.  But sometimes life is more interesting if I choose to do the less-smart decision.  Besides, this is a good chance to see a bunch of cool people and cool stuff.
Why Combat run?  A few hundred miles north just to turn around and go home the next day is definitely a combat run...

North: 298.0 Miles

My target ETA was to get to Mark's at 10:00.  This meant leaving home around 4:00.  Thankfully I'm an early riser.  Temperatures were cold enough I decided not to wear my mesh jacket; this ended up being the right decision.  I was out the door shortly after 4:00 riding my Triumph through deer infested roads once again.  This time it was made worse by darkness and heavy fog.  I proceeded carefully.
Between the temperatures and the dampness it was cold.  I was just on the edge of shivering through much of the day.  Even once it started to warm up, I never really did feel warm.

Daylight did finally start to emerge as I continued north.  I stopped at my favorite bathroom, but found out its doors must be locked at night.  I had to make due.

Once well into Michigan the weather turned almost perfect with bluebird skies, low winds and pleasant temperatures.  I made it to Mark's at 10:01.  We only talked for a short bit before jumping in his MGB and heading out to the park.  Mark was most gracious and made a sandwich for me to take to the park.  Good people.  It felt exceedingly odd to be sitting in the passenger seat of an MGB; I do not remember the last time this happened.  His car was having clutch problems so it was an adventure in driving.  Some things never change.  We met Donna at a gas station and off we caravanned to the park.

Once at the park we were instantly met by former coworkers.  It was a reunion of sorts with lots of brief catching ups.  These were the more superficial kind that happen when we see people for the first time in many years and in a public setting, "How ya doing?"  "You still working for ???"  "How old is your kid?"  It was fun hearing what everyone was doing.  Chris was there with his two kids; I really enjoyed catching up with him and seeing his two kids - even if they didn't seem too thrilled to be there.
One former customer of the shop remembered I had built the engine in his MGA, "So is it still running?"  "Oh yeah!  Runs great.  And you built that in 19 ... 19 ... 19993?"  Some days I feel older than others.
Brian and Jim didn't recognize me and Jim didn't remember my name.  So it goes.  It is unquestionably true that I was at a more impressionable age when I was working with them than they were.  And I'm sure I look like nothing like the "kid" they remember.

The meet was a lot of the same people and the same cars, but also a few oddities that kept it interesting.  My favorite had to be an MGTB that was running and driving, but with a patina that screamed old school.  20-something year old me would have been more enamored with the MGB V8s and maybe I still was - just not in the same way.

After a couple hours I was pretty much done.  There were a little less than 100 cars there, so a fraction of what it was 30 years ago.  I was just thrilled I could be there.

Back at Mark's, Susan was up so we talked for quite a bit.  We both had dog sagas last year - it is amazing how much those little guys end up dominating our lives.  Marty knew I was a dog people.  

Mark and I went out to take a bike ride after being reprimanded by his neighbor for walking 10 feet across private property.  So it goes.  I do truly love being able to ride these rail-to-bike paths, but it isn't worth driving to ride them near home.  I'll continue to suffer on my hills.

Dinner was mostly from their garden and was phenomenal.  The evening ended with garden blueberries and ice cream.  Fat-me was trying to make a comeback.

___________________________

South: 302.7

I slept well, but woke up a lot.  I was worried that my questionable hydration would bring on a migraine and make the trip home excruciating, but thankfully that didn't happen.  Eventually I couldn't stand it and got up; Mark happened to be getting up at the same time.  I had no reason to leave in the dark, so we sat in his gazebo by the fire and solved all the world's problems.  The tree frogs were grunting, crickets making their racket, other insects buzzing.  It was, quite frankly, an amazing morning.  
Soon enough it started to get light.  I finished packing and left shortly before sunrise.  A deer in the woods right by the driveway had me veer to the right and I ended up in the soft stuff, almost dumping the triumph.  Almost...
Once on the road it was a motorcyclist's dream morning.  Cool, dry conditions.  Gorgeous sunrise.  No one on the road.  This just continued the magic of the morning.
I easily settled into the drive.  Once near Fort Wayne, I decided to take the Ohio route home instead of Indiana to avoid the two ugly construction zones.  This was probably the right decision, but I may have evolved into a too-strong go-home mode.  There were many cars which demanded to be passed.  
Soon enough I was near home.  Thankfully the heat and humidity waited until I was almost home.

It has definitely been one of those week-long weekends.  I loved the time on the road - thinking time.  I love catching up with old friends.  And I treasure that I still have some old friends to catch up with.

We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
What have we found?
The same old fears
Wish you were here

No comments:

Post a Comment