Sunday, January 21, 2024

2024 Hog Hunt Day 6&7 - Back to the Feezer

I certainly wasn't ready to go home when I woke up, but I was started to get ready for things to wind down.  I was definitely ready for my own coffee (and water) at home.
Rick and Denis once again headed out for ducks.  They had a good morning with 30+ ducks from the group and 2 bands.  Once they were back, we headed out to feed pigs.

After a bit more down time at the lodge, I was ready for the last hunt.
I was once again in a world-famous blind - although this time was a bit sillier since I was both in a little more open area as well as sitting in some fresh hog rootin'.  I've had hogs come within a few feet of me in the past...

Temperatures were cool, yet nice.  But the wind was ferocious with gusts nearing 30MPH.  It wasn't terrible tucked into some trees, but it was definitely noticeable.  I was glad I made the decision to wear my snowsuit even though it wasn't that cold.
As I was sitting there, I happen to notice a hang-pn stand in a nearby tree.  It appeared to be partially blocked and not too easy to get into, so presumably it hasn't been used in a while.  I also expect that it was more likely from deer than pigs.  I don't know why, but I always find other stands nearby somewhat distressing.

My mind wandered as I sat there.  As it got later I was slightly more ready to go home.  And absolutely nothing was moving in the field on this last evening.  I remembered the last time I was here and sat in the box blind at the opposite end of the field, the deer walked right down the 2-track I was sitting near.  With the wind, I may not even hear them if this happened again.
Darkness came late and I packed up to be picked up.  Claude had seen several very small piglets; Denis - nothing.

Back in camp I packed up most of my stuff and ate pizza with Denis and Claude.  I plan to be back in 9 (short?  long?) months.
_____

I woke up at a little after 2:00AM and took out my ear plugs so I could hear my alarm that I set.  I couldn't get back to sleep, so just got up, got ready and was out the door a little before 3:00.
As I was heading down Rick's road, a buck ran right in front of me.  Grow strong my good man - and hopefully see you soon again.

The trip home was uneventful which is good.  By the time I got near Columbia the temperature was already near the teens. and it went down from there.  
The Appalachians had quite a bit of snow, but being a Saturday, there was very little traffic.  Temperatures also dropped to the single digits and stayed near there for the rest of the trip home.

I finished listening to Good Morning Monster and found the last "patient" to be ... unsympathetic.  Overall the book was good, but certainly not great.  Hopefully I'll find better options for bear hunting later in the year.
Once home the dogs were happy to see me.  Surprisingly my hog hadn't frozen solid despite nearly 10 hours of frigid temperatures, so I took care of it that afternoon - I can't say I really wanted to do this after the long drive, but it was the right thing to do.
I know that now comes a long slog with little to immediately look forward to.  But that may be OK, so I have a successful hog hunt to look back on with fresh wild pig to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment