Not being in any hurry, I methodically made my way toward the border. There were almost no other cars on the road, even in Warroad. I got to the border and had a brief conversation with the Canadian Officer, then parked and headed in for the firearm paperwork. I always appreciate the professionalism of the Canadian Border Security Officers. I handed over my paperwork, had another brief friendly conversation and was on my way - a guest in a foreign country.
I continued on into Canada. Traffic stayed exceedingly light all morning. The drive was wonderful - scenic and easy.
I stopped once for coffee when I saw a sign for a "Coffee Bar", but that was a mistake - a big one. The coffee was terrible, little more than brown water. It was actually worse than the hotel coffee earlier in the morning. So it goes...
I was glad when I finished Lies My Teacher Told Me. OK read? Meh... Recommend? No... I finished the drive with some Garrison Keillor and an older podcast before turning everything off and just thinking back to my first bear hunt all those years ago. I do that a lot on the final stretch of road.
I got gas and made my final few km into camp. I parked at my cabin and walked to the lodge. Carter and I talked for a bit; Maureen also stopped by. It felt like visiting family.
I threw a lure for a bit while waiting for the cabin to be ready. I caught two pike - this has to be a good sign - right? One of them was even a reasonably decent size (not a monster).
With my cabin ready, I allowed myself a brief nap. It was going to be a good week. Another pike at the dock and a bit more forced down time before heading into the lodge.
Dinner was chicken cordon bleu while we all started to get to know each other. The real adventure starts in the morning.


No comments:
Post a Comment