As daylight brightened, we all met at the lodge for a final breakfast. The plan was to go upriver to fish, have a true shore lunch on the shore, then fish some more while Casey hunted. It sounded like a very good plan to me.
I was the only one who wanted to fish for pike, so Dave took me and after a quick supply drop-off at Kendall, we went fishing.
On one of the first bays we went to, we hooked into several good pike, the largest being a 40" fish which was also very fat. It was exciting to bring in such a big river monster (in all deference to the truth, it was a team effort). I had never caught a pike larger than 39 inches with or without an asterisk .
Immediately after, I brought in a 35 inch pike which was equally fat.
We fished several more bays throughout the morning. Some were more productive than others, but the morning was a ton of fun. We met the other two boats at a lunch spot where we had a true shore lunch of potatoes 'n onions and fried fish right form the river. Lunch ended with Allie's excellent chocolate chip cookies; I ate way too many.
While food was cooking I walked around and out to the point. It was fun to do even if my feet got quite wet. At least I was wearing my water shoes.
After lunch Dave and I fished several more bays, bringing in lots more fish and a few more big ones. Dave also caught me several walleye to bring home. It was a really good day on the water.
I had some time in camp which allowed me to clean up and pack up.
Casey came in early with a whopper of a beautiful black bear, meaning everyone in camp tagged out - and with minimal tracking (this makes the guides happy).
We had one final dinner before ending the week. Unquestionably it has been an amazing week with a group of new friends and old.


No comments:
Post a Comment