Monday, October 5, 2026

2026 SC Deer Hunt Day 1 - Drive Day

My big plan was to do minimal work Saturday so I could have some down time.  It was not to be; the lawn NEEDED to be mowed.  S/O was so wonderful to help, so it only took a few hours.
But while packing up, I could not find my light hunting jacket.  I searched and searched and searched some more.  I must conclude I left it up in Canada somehow.  Is it in Carter's truck?  Based on pictures I don't think so.  In a boat?  Highly unlikely.  Did I leave it in the treestand or nearby?  That would not be like me.  But losing something like a jacket is not like me.  This thought plagues me as I packed and drove south.  Neither the jacket (nor a flashlight which I also lost) is a high dollar item, but that isn't the point.  I know I can obsess about small things; this did not feel like a small thing.

Regardless if I'm losing it or not, Sunday came bright and early.  I took care of the dogs, got ready and hit the road around 3:30.  It was dark, cool and dry.  It was a beautiful morning to be on the road.

For the first time in my life I stopped at a Buc-ees.  I figured early morning was relatively safe.  I don't get the allure and the coffee was only adequate.  I would not want to stop on a busy afternoon.  At least I can say I've tried to experience this cultural milestone.

Traffic stayed light in the darkness.  I made my way south, getting off the interstate to avoid the mayhem that is Knoxville.

I was listening to What the Bears Know by Steve Searles.  It was either phenomenally good, or it was the right book at the right time.  Or it was both.  I might quibble with a bit of what he said.  If nothing else, he is wrong on what he says about bear meat (I had a bear burger the previous night).  He admits to anthropomorphizing bears a bit too much - at least that is how I interpret what he says about it.  But I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  Parts of it were extremely funny.  Parts were very hard to listen to.  Much of it was introspective in a way I could really appreciate.  Now I have to decide if I should recommend it to anyone?

Once back on Interstate 40, traffic was very heavy for a Sunday.  It stayed this way for much of the rest of the drive.  But leaving early, I was in no hurry, so I continued on at my own pace.
I continued to make my way, getting to Rick's in the early afternoon.  Aaron and Evan, who I hunted with the previous year were there.  We talked a bit, but I was somewhat foggy from the trip.

Rick came back and we all told lies for a bit.  Evan and I took a quick trip to the river, but instead of my usual walk, we took Rick's 3-wheelers.

Moose made me miss my dogs back home.

There was no dinner, but I was stuffed from eating the whole trip down.  I turned in as soon as I thought it would be acceptable.  I went to sleep, still wondering if I'm losing it.  I'll have plenty of time over the next few days to ponder this.

No comments:

Post a Comment