Tuesday, January 29, 2013

2013 Hog Hunt Day 4

Woke up early and talked in the lodge for a while.  The four hunters in the group left to meet Rick at Shady Rest for breakfast.

After breakfast, Kevin and Ethan went with Rick to feed stands.  I went to the gun range to check for physical anomalies due to the two unfortunate shots.

I fired a handful of shots, but that was all it took to demonstrate the rifle, scope, etc. was in good order.  Certainly it was good enough for the distance I was shooting at.  Operator error.

Back at the lodge, we all got ready to head out for the afternoon, my final afternoon.  We fed stands at Georgetown for a bit and we were all dropped off.  I was sitting near the swamp over the same corn pile that Claude was on the second night.  I was sitting on the opposite side from where Claude was, in some bushes that were covered in bright pink flowers.

Weather was warm; very warm.  There was humidity to match.  This is not typically good hog weather as hogs like cold.
Mosquitoes where everywhere as the evening progressed and no mammals of any kind made an appearance save for a few squirrels.  The mosquitoes got downright arrogant as it got dark.

Near the point of darkness, I heard a shot to my right.  Kevin had shot a 100 pound boar.  No one else saw anything, but at least there were pigs on the ground.
Kevin was sitting on the reverse stand and the shot was near dark, but the bullet went diagonally through the boar, exiting near the neck.

After Subway for dinner, it was time to pack up and drive home.  I was not ready yet to think about work but it was coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment