Thursday, January 24, 2013

2013 Hog Hunt T-1 Day

January 24, 2013
I've been watching the weather a lot this week.  Earlier in the week, forecasts were for minor amounts of precipitation with a slight chance of it being cold enough for snow.  As the week progressed, the forecast regressed.
The plan was to pack today and head out early on January 25.  However the forecast close to home was for a chance of accumulating snow from a storm coming during a very cold spell from Canada.  South, the forecast was for another system coming form the Gulf/Southwest.  The southern storm was to spread sleet, rain, freezing rain and ice across the south, centering on areas I need to travel through to get to South Carolina.  Below is an image of a forecast map when I would likely be coming through the area if I left tomorrow.
The forecast was still "murky" to quote the NOAA advisory.  If the two winter systems combined, it could get much worse.

I may be accused of being overly cautious by leaving early, but I can live with that (pun intended).

The situation is similar to 2010 when a forecast for a major snow storm was to come through the same area. That year, the storm sped up and after working for a few hours, I ran home, threw everything I thought I would need in the truck and left early.  I had to buy some clothes when I stopped for the night since I did not get a chance to do laundry.

I packed everything up yesterday and loaded the truck.  I woke early (even for me) and headed to work.  Since I was not in my normal mode, I forgot my badge.  Luckily Security came quickly and let me in with a temporary badge.
I worked for several hours and left around 11:30.  I'll call it a full day since I routinely put in a couple extra hours a day.  After a quick bite to eat at my desk, I headed south.

Weather was cold, but sunny.  Roads where clear with about as much traffic as expected.  As I got into Tennessee, they were already pretreating roads for the upcoming potential weather.  Turning east through the mountains, traffic was light and weather stayed good all day.
I was listening to The Story: NIV from Zondervan.  It was a little frustrating that CD#3 did not work.  I missed most of Exodus.

After going through the mountains I thought about stopping in Asheville, but it was still early so continued on Spartanburg, South Carolina.  The Super-8 motel was a little more expensive than I would usually choose for myself alone, but I didn't feel like driving all over to try to save a few dollars.

Chinese take-out at Panda Garden for dinner topped off with Oreo Cakesters wrapped up the night.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment