Thursday, August 22, 2013

2013 NorthEast by Motorcycle Day 1

Home to Jackson, Ohio.  159 miles.

The day started off an a normal enough work day.  Up early and out the door.  At work by 5:00.  A few unpleasant things happened overnight which required attention, but overall it was a quiet morning.

As the day progressed I wrapped up bunch of small issues and around 12:30, I set the Out of Office notification and shut email down.  I was on the glide path to vacation.  By 1:00 I had put in a full eight hours, but still for some unexplainable reason feel guilty leaving "early" even if my usual work day can be grotesquely long.  I got over the guilt and left.  Even worse, it was a work picnic day so (if I would attend) the only thing I would "miss" would be forced social interaction at work.

I was on vacation.

I went home and started packing things up.  I took the dogs to beagle-jail; they were all very excited to go somewhere, anywhere.  I am too.

I finished packing but left rain suits out since the radar indicated the predicted forecast of rain was becoming a reality.  Just to the west there was a fairly strong thunderstorm.  I had an hour to putz around the house before we were both at home ready to head out.

We left and headed southeast.  It spit a bit of rain before getting on the interstate.  On the interstate we hit some typical rush hour congestion, made worse by an accident (right by work).  It rained moderately off and on as we moved from the interstate to the Cincinnati suburbs.  Once on Ohio 32, the suburbs gave way to the exurbs which gave to a perfect rural road.  The terrain changed to the Appalachian Foothills.  Traffic was non existent making a very pleasant drive to Jackson, OH.


Atypically, we have made hotel reservations for most stops on this trip.  However, we saw the Days Inn too late and got turned around, temporarily imitating an emergency vehicle, we U-ed back on track to the hotel.  After checking in we made the longer than expected walk to the Dakota Roadhouse for dinner.  Having not eaten in about nine hours, I was starving and the food was excellent.

I was on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment