Monday, January 19, 2015

2015 Hog Hunt Day 1 (Drive Day)

Morning came early as I got up at my usual time for work.  I got ready quickly and was out the door by a little after 4:00.  Weather was relatively warm for the time of year, with a light rain falling.  The rain persisted, very lightly for the first half of the trip.  Mostly this was just seen by wet roads.

Quite a bit is going on right now.  So much, that I wasn't sure I was actually going to be able to make my annual trip to South Carolina to hunt wild boar.  There were several heavy things on my mind as I headed south; deep in thought, I blew through a stop sign very near home.  This is through an intersection I drive through relatively often so it was a wake-up call.  The rural area I live in is devoid of activity at 4:00, but it was a message to pay attention with a long drive ahead.

As could be predicted, traffic was non-existent on an early Sunday morning.  Once on the interstate, I listened to the book How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill.  It was a book about a man who grew up in a privileged environment, had a high level advertising job and family, then lost it all.  He ended up working at Starbucks and loving it.  For whatever reason, I found parallels to some of the stuff going on.  Not that these parallels really existed, it was just my frame of mind.

As with previous trips, I saw the sunrise near the Kentucky/Tennessee border.  With the clouds breaking it was very pretty.  As the sun rose, sun blindness was actually a problem which is a good problem to have compared to years where bad weather chased me south.

I made it to the lodge in about 11 hours, so good time was made.  No one was there so I hung out and almost fell asleep until Rick came back.  He was with another hunter who had just gotten to camp named Joe.  We talked a bit until Jessie and Robert arrived with their son Cody.

We ate dinner at the lodge followed by generally BSing and getting to know each other.  I was having a hard time staying awake, and so turned in for the night relatively early.


No comments:

Post a Comment