Thursday, January 21, 2016

2016 Hog Hunt Day 4

After sunrise, but with good morning light, I got some better pictures of my boar, some even with me in them.

After taking the pictures, Rob and I removed the head to get boiled out for the skull.  The meat actually looked pretty good - it didn't have that deep red color and didn't smell like stinky boar, so we strung him up and removed the backstraps and hams.  Even if it isn't the best wild hog meat I've ever had, it looked good and I'm not out anything by taking it home to try it.  I was able to freeze it in Rick's freezer.  Hopefully I remember it while packing to head back home.

Belated Edit:  Back at home, the meat was deboned and much of it ground up.  I've eaten some of it now, and it is actually really good hog meat, if a bit lean.  I wish I would have kept all of the meat!

We all lollygagged around the lodge for a while before feeding a few stands with Rick and heading out to hunt.  Rob and Cody were on club land, and I was on Kyle's property, recently brought into Rick's hunting area.
The stand was a very tall ladder stand.  The afternoon was cool, not cold, with abundant sunshine and almost no wind.  It was so still, I almost didn't dare to move at all.
At around 5:15, a few deer came out, and after that, they didn't seem to stop.  Well over ten were feeding on the corn pile.  The final two deer were two bucks, one of which was a very nice one.

Staying in communication by text message, we all heard some shooting and thought it was someone in the group, but it wasn't.  Nobody saw hogs, so they must have been moving late.  A weather system is moving in which could make the last two days interesting.  

Even though I didn't see any hogs, it was an extremely nice night.  Cool, with deer to watch and quiet time to think and reflect - it was the kind of night that people who don't hunt, and often assume hunting is a blood sport, just do not understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment