Friday, January 22, 2016

2016 Hog Hunt Day 5

But sometimes stuff happens.

I woke up ready for two more days to hunt wild hogs.  A family member had recently been hospitalized, and since I was sort of out normal world and communication was minimal, I wasn't sure of the seriousness of it.  A flurry of overnight texts revealed that not only had Tom died, but that the funeral was in two days.  While perhaps selfish, I thought about hunting the afternoon and heading out early on Friday.  This was doable in theory, but a winter storm that was brewing made it impossible in practice.

Around 10:00, I hurriedly packed up and headed out.  Normally I like to leave very early, so the beginning of the drive was painful and construction made it even more so.

Soon enough, I was on the interstate motoring home, listening to Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me followed by several podcasts of Radio Lab.  My leaving early made me frustrated, but it was the right thing to do.  Funerals are for the living.

The drive was uneventful enough and I arrived home with a long list of things to do.  Unpack, laundry, taking care of hog meat, repacking for the funeral, figuring out where to stay with the dogs...

Yep, sometimes stuff happens...

Belated Edit:
I note that had I gone home at my expected date and time, I very likely would have been caught in the tail end of a paralyzing snow storm that shut down I-75 for hours and resulted in a line of non-moving cars 10's of miles long.  I still wish the funeral wasn't needed and I could have finished out my hunt, but there is solace, albeit minimal, in knowing I wasn't stuck for an undetermined amount of time on the interstate.

No comments:

Post a Comment