Friday, January 13, 2017

2017 Hog Hunt Day 0

I was being cautious.  Probably overly cautious.  But weather has chased me down to hunt hogs several times, so this isn't unusual.
Freezing rain was predicted, likely only to impact the first hundred miles or so of travel.  But with hotel points that were going to expire anyway, there were less reasons not to head out early - the only remaining reason being a bit of hassle that a night in a hotel costs.

So I scooted out of work early after a relatively productive 8 hours and packed up the truck, ready to head out.  I always forget something, but I'm not sure what it will be this time.

I drove a couple hundred miles south, putting me into the area of Kentucky with rain, but well away from the freezing rain.  The drive was relatively uneventful.  A little traffic here and there.  A few pellets of sleet in Northern Kentucky.

I was listening to A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz.  I had read/listened to his book Blue Latitudes several times before going to Hawaii and I really like his writing.  Voyage was starting out well.

Once into Kentucky, the rain picked up, with temperatures well above any worry point.  But the rain did make driving a bit tougher.  This is the maiden trip for the Ridgeline, not a long enough day to really get a feel for it; Saturday will be though.

I got to the hotel in London and fueled up for an early departure.  The Old Town Grill smelled really good, but I didn't want to deal with all the traffic around there.  So I just stopped at Subway for a to-go meatball sub and a soda from the gas station.  It was still early, but it had also been a long day.

Cookies and cream ice cream ended my evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment