Sunday, August 20, 2017

2017 Eclipse Day 3

Norfolk, Nebraska to Alliance, Nebraska:  341.7 Miles

I decided overnight that I really didn't like the Norfolk hotel very much.  I'm not sure why - it wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed at (by far), so maybe it was a combination of the hotel and the overall situation.  Or something.  Besides, the waffle batter was almost too thick to use, but I guess I can't complain too much about gratis hotel waffles.

I usually pay too much attention to the weather.  On motorcycle and hunting adventures I obsess about the weather.  On this trip, my obsession with the weather has been turned up to 11 - possible even higher.
Weather was converging on Alliance having significant clouds, with much clearer conditions forecast as little as 80 miles to the west.  I've pretty much decided that trying to drive to Casper, Wyoming would be really dumb.  Four hundred miles on the bike in a day is pretty easy west of the Mississippi.  But if eclipse traffic is even close to as bad as predicted, it might be torture.  I don't think traffic before would be too bad.  I do expect that after totality ends, there would be a rising tide of people leaving.  Things to ponder and ponder some more on the road.

We headed out at first light again.  It was another gorgeous morning with cool temperatures and empty roads.  As I was leaving I noted that a headlight was out on the Gold Wing - being a chronic worrier, this gave me something to think about in addition to the weather.

We took the most direct route to Alliance, I didn't figure traffic would be too bad the day before the eclipse, but there can always be surprises.  Traffic was basically nonexistent for the entire ride.  What I did notice as I got near Alliance was the out of state plates.  Between what was seen on the road and in the city of Alliance, I think half of Colorado was in Western Nebraska.  I also saw more police on the roads in this area of the country than I have ever seen before.

I love the scenery in Western Nebraska.  The sand hills region must be driven to be experienced.

Skies were nearly cloudless for the entire day.  There was only one small batch of clouds an hour or so from Alliance.  At least 137 times through the day I asked, "Why can't it be like this tomorrow?"  I'd even take the small batch of thin clouds we did see.

In short order we made it to Alliance and to SO's sister's house.  We unpacked and talked for a little while, before my niece gave me a ride to Napa Auto Parts.  Two H7 bulbs were purchased and quickly installed.  The still-working bulb was nearly ready to pop before replacement.  One less thing to worry about.

SO and I took a walk around Alliance, scoping out areas to view the eclipse.  I was ruminating on whether it made sense to stay in Alliance and risk the clouds - expected to be near 50% at totality - or risk traffic and head west.  Even if Casper was not a realistic possibility, some place closer may be.  Still, I would not want to be stuck in traffic for hours on a blazing hot afternoon in full motorcycle gear.  And yet, I just rode 1200 miles, shouldn't I make the effort to go just a few hundred more?  How many other people will have that same idea?  How many more bodies and vehicles will day trip to totality.  Or leave areas that look cloudy for clearer areas nearby?  Hmmmmm.......

I found a few good potential locations.  If the forecast improves significantly, I found some spots that likely wouldn't have too many people.  If the clouds are worse than expected, I want the catharsis of the crowds.  Or will I got to Jay Em, Wyoming?????

SO's sister took us on a drive around Alliance.  I was expecting more mayhem, but it really wasn't that bad.  I didn't see evidence of a painful amount of people ... yet.
There was considerable traffic around Carhenge.  But even there, it was moving pretty well.

What was somewhere between funny and interesting was all the impromptu campgrounds being put up.  Some were nearly empty.  Others were full to capacity.  One way or another, this was going to be an event.  It already was.

Back at SO's sister's house, we had a great dinner of smoked ribs and chicken.  They do a mean smokin' in Alliance.  That alone might be worth the 1200 miles.
The day ended with a few rousing games of euchre before turning in for the night, still unsure what to do in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment