Tuesday, August 22, 2017

2017 Eclipse Day 5

Alliance, Nebraska to Pocahontas, Iowa:  521.9 Miles

Morning was cold.  It was one of those oddly cool August mornings that tells us summer will eventually come to an end.  It didn't help that we left before sunrise, but the mid-40's was cold.

We worked our way out of Alliance and headed north past Carhenge.  There were still a few campers left there, but only a few.  The mayhem of the eclipse-day had almost completely subsided.

We continued north through the gorgeous Nebraska countryside.  Not too far out of the city, the sunrise peaked up over agricultural land.  It was nothing short of stunning.

A short time later, we crossed a low spot in the terrain.  A mule deer doe jumped out from some brushy trees and across the road directly in front of the Gold Wing at speed.  It was a situation of grab-all-the-brake-the-bike-had and hope that the deer doesn't do anything stupid.  Thankfully, the situation turned out well.  I do suppose that both Mrs. Mule Deer and myself were a bit on edge after the close encounter.

Once we hit US-20, we headed east.  I really see US-20 in Nebraska, especially the western part, as one of the hidden gems in the United States.  It sees little traffic, the road is largely in good shape and the scenery is beautiful.  It is agricultural in places, and in others it looks like either the Sand Hills or the Badlands, or a combination of the two.  Anybody who says Nebraska is boring to drive through should get punched in the mouth - then they should get off of I-80 and really see a bit of the country.
But golly that sun is bright.

Continuing east, I was enjoying the ride, but felt like we were not getting anywhere.  And with the bright sun early in the day, I really think another eclipse was needed.  All those warnings about not looking at the sun during and eclipse don't work so good when driving right into it.

A little after noon, we started looking for a place for lunch.  The towns we went through didn't have much, and Subway didn't sound too appealing.  Now in Eastern Nebraska, the roads roughened up a bit which was making me mad.  What I realized was that I was getting crabby due to a lack of food.  I decided the next town would have to be a food stop, even if it was peanuts at a gas station.
The gas station in Jackson had a small food service inside.  I have to say that the food was much better than it had a right to be; the lady helping us was extremely friendly as well; I love the Midwest...

Filled up with food, we continued east, crossing the Missouri River into Iowa.  We have previously stayed in Pocahontas, Arkansas in 2009; Pocahontas, Illinois in 2014.  We decided to stay in Pocahontas, Iowa.
I was a bit leery after the Norfolk Hotel, but the Pocahontas Inn and Suites was a 5-star lodging establishment in comparison.  Friendly staff, really nice rooms, motorcycle-friendly concrete parking area, etc.

Dinner was at a small restaurant attached to a bar just a short walk away.  It was a little weird that everyone looked at us when we walked in until I noticed I was doing the same thing after sitting down - I think it was just the difference in light between the very bright outside and dark inside.
Dinner was decidedly between good and mediocre.  SO's tenderloin sandwich was good.  My steak was supposed to be a rib eye, but it had all the hallmarks of a strip steak.  It doesn't even compare to the steaks from the previous night.

The night ended with some new Caramel M&M's, readying me for another day of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment