Thursday, July 15, 2021

50/80/50 Trip Day 11 - Home

 Jacksonville, IL to Home:  347.1 miles

I got a later start than usual, but not late as I was still out the door before actual sunrise.  I decided to wait for free hotel waffles and they did not disappoint.  They even had chocolate chips for them.
After eating, I was glad to be out the door toward home.  With Covid killing hotel breakfasts for the last 18 months, this was the first time I've had gratis hotel waffles in a very long time.

I jumped on I-72 and headed east.  There was very heavy rain to the Northwest.  It was moving slowly, but I still did not want to get caught in it.  The morning was temperate and cloudy.  Instead of a sunrise pushing me down the road, I was moving toward it.

I made my way east.  I thought about jumping off the interstate and taking US-36, but there really wasn't anything I wanted to see and the thought of dealing with traffic was too heinous.
I spent time trying to decide if I should work the next day.  The weather forecast doesn't look too good, so rather than sit around all day, I may clandestinely work from home and at least clear out my inbox.  I suppose I can decide in the morning.
Getting around Indianapolis was ... Indianapolis.  Jumping back on I-74 I got caught in construction that came to a standstill a few times.  I'm not sure why I can drive thousands of miles, at times on busier highways and have the construction beat me up so close to home.  At one point I yelled, "People, I just want to get home!" and traffic started moving.  I never knew I had that power.

I got home early afternoon.  The dogs were quite happy to see me and the lawn was ugly long.  With rain forecast, there wasn't any choice but to mow immediately.  While I didn't really want to do this, it did allow me a chance to replay many events of the past 11 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment