Friday, September 3, 2021

Delta Bear Hunt Day 7 - Spinnerbait Walleye

I slept pretty well and expected to wake up to rain.  But I woke up to another steely grey Manitoba morning.  It was much warmer than I expected as well.
After coffee and reading a few things online, I took my pole out to the bay and cast by the boat ramp.  I ended up catching the largest pike I've gotten yet.  It was a bit tough to get the treble hook off without any kind of pliers.  It was only about 24" but I could interpret it as a good omen.

After breakfast, Mike (guide) took Justin and I out to fish.  We headed into Blind Bay.  On my first cast I ended up hitting a decent pike and bringing it in.  This was followed shortly by another pike.  Neither were huge, but catching pike is always fun.  Even the little guys often fight like big fish.

We worked our way around the bay with both Justin and I bringing in a fair number of fish.  None of them were huge, but it was at least a very consistent amount.  It was also surprising that they were hitting on just about everything.  I did catch one fish which was fairly respectable in size - not a monster, but at least as big as my boat ramp fish from the morning.

We headed in for a shore lunch at the lodge which was good, but not the same as an actual shore lunch in a remote area at the shore.

Once done with lunch I was getting really tired - so it was imperative to get out fishing soon before I got even sleepier.  Luckily that was the plan as Justin, Ron and I headed out again with Mike.  This time we headed up to Petrushney Bay.  We probably brought in even more fish than the morning.  Again, none were very large, but it was still a lot of fun.
It was also an odd fishing afternoon since we brought in fish using unusual tackle.  Justin brought in a mooneye using an inline spinner, and I brought in a big walleye on a spinnerbait.  Sadly, that spinnerbait was later lost to a snag.

As we fished, the expected rain did start.  It ranged from a light mist to fairly heavy rain.  We all had rain gear which made it somewhere between tolerable and fun.  I did borrow Mike's Frog Toggs pants which saved my Donkey pants.

We headed back to the lodge around 6:00 after a very fun afternoon of fishing.  John had shot a really nice and big bear.  No one else had gotten anything.  Matt sat on the same stand I hunted from.  I suppose I was both hoping he would see some gosh-awful huge bear and wondering how I would react if he would see something like that on that stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment