Tuesday, January 18, 2022

2022 Hog Hunt Day 4 - So It Goes

"Robert Kennedy, whose summer home is eight miles from the home I live in all year round, was shot two nights ago. He died last night. So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut

I woke up and had no reason to dither.  I thought about taking a shower, but even that seemed like a waste of time.  I was on the road a few minutes after 3:00.  I made my way out on the dark roads.  I saw lots of deer, but they are mostly not too stupid this time of year so they stayed where they should be.  There was quite a bit of traffic for how early it was, but the morning was still quite nice.

I was listening to The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu by Joshua Hammer.  Or at least I tried to listen to it.  It jumped around and I thought it was going to be about fighting/hiding from terrorist Islamic groups.  It started out as mostly history of writing in Africa.  The description of the physical books was fascinating, but I just could not get excited about the books.  Should they be preserved from a historic perspective?  Of course, but it seemed like forcing it to make it sound like these books were centuries ahead of anything.  It is sad how little the owners cared about the books - keeping them in goat skin bags to be ravaged by water or allowing them to be eaten by termites says something about the current culture.  Character development was somewhere between unsympathetic and non-existent.  It did sound like the book would have gotten better later, but rather than skip part of the book, I think I'm better off deleting it.
Thankfully I had tons of podcasts saved -mostly Hidden Brain - many of which were really good.

The evidence of the winter storm started a little over 100 miles from camp.  South Carolina High Country looked like it got hit hard as did Central Kentucky.  Oddly, the Appalachian area didn't look like it got near as much.  The snow did make the mountains very pretty though.

I continued driving and stopped to get gas at the same gas station I usually do right off I-81.  Why oh why do I buy pickled sausage?  I question my life choices sometimes.

I think I woke up SO and her sister when I got home.  I watched my sister-in-law help SO get moved into another room.  If SO doesn't have any mountain goat (she does not), I don't have the caring gene (I do not).  I'll have to develop this.
We talked for a bit about both the current situation and a few other things before Sis-in-Law had to leave.  I am incredibly grateful for what she did for us.

I'm disappointed that my hog hunt was cut short.  Sometimes life happens.  So it goes.  At this point, I can only hope that I am prepared for the next few weeks.  It will be stressful enough that I may need something like a hog hunt after it is all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment