Tuesday, August 30, 2022

2022 Bear Hunt Day 4 - Soggy Bottoms

I heard rain overnight which made me hopeful that the forecast rain had come early and be over earlier than predicted.  This was not to be.
After sleeping relatively well, coffee was calling so I got up.  I had brought a book along assuming I wouldn't touch it, but the previous evening didn't have me on bear-hunting hours so I had a chance to read for a while.  I enjoyed the quiet time early in the morning and the coffee was great - even if it was made with river water.

After Breakfast Guide Chris took me up river a short ways for fishing.  "Pike is the only thing that matters."  We managed to bring in a few hammer handles, at least enough to keep me entertained.  None of them were big, but even small pike are pretty sure they are the baddest things in the water.  My dedication to spinnerbaits also brought in a similar number of smallmouth bass.  These were equally fun and one pretty decent size smalley came in as well.

Chris is a retired conservation officer and was really interesting to talk to.  When we left it was overcast but still rather nice.  Rain picked up while we were out including a few periods of heavy rain.  It wasn't storming, but I was really glad I had brought my fishing rain gear.  Thanks Dennis - I'd say that I'll return your rain coat some day, but I think it is mine now.

After lunch Dave took Matt (Utah) and me down river to hunt.  Radar suggested most of the heavy rain had passed which was hopeful; rain had started letting up to more intermittent showers, but it was on the snotty side weather-wise.  After dropping Matt off, Dave and I had a miserable boat ride to my spot during a heavier shower.  It wasn't too much fun.  My site was not hit when we walked in.  Both Dave and I looked at the logs sticking out of the barrel, "You never know.  I'm going to put you here anyway."  "OK."  Don't guide the guide.
Dave left and I got settled in.  The shooting rail was wedged against the tree making it impossible to pull in front of me.  The stand was not uncomfortable, but I was not able to get comfortable in it.  Maybe it is getting older, maybe it was just the day or maybe it was all the rain but the evening passed slowly.

As my time in the stand passed, the weather first got worse with continuing showers and the wind briefly picking up.  Then things started to improve as the wetness remained just from the water coming off the trees and the wind dying down.  Every once in a while a big rain drop would find its way onto my exposed neck which sent a shiver down to the core of my being.  Mosquitoes were there, but thankfully were only a minor annoyance; they could have been much worse.
It wasn't until looking at last year's pictures that I realized I was at the same stand were I had hunted and shot my bear the previous year.  They must of repositioned the stand since then it tilted forward in a painful way, but the rail did work then.  The bears were also much more cooperative since the night passed with nothing moving.
I was glad the rain had stopped, but everything felt damp and clammy.  I was surprised to see how clear and calm it really was once Dave came and got me.  The darkness of the stand can be deceiving.
We went to get Matt and I waited in the boat in the dark stillness.  I live for these rare beautiful moments.

Back in camp, one of the Pennsylvania guys (Bill, I think) had gotten a pretty nice bear.  He was the last guy in camp, but first to shoot.  The amount of fat on the bear was shocking with a solid inch of fat even on the hind quarters.

We all had a too-late dinner before calling the first full day in bear camp done.

No comments:

Post a Comment