Tuesday, January 17, 2023

2023 Pig Hunt Day 3 - Hunting with Lucy

After getting up in the morning, I finished reading Brothers - which was good, a few essays were shocking.  But it wasn't great.  I read the first half in Canada while hunting black bear.  I may go back and reread a few at some point.
There was lots of lollygagging until Rick and I went out to feed stands.  It went pretty fast since we got a late start but still got back to the lodge with enough time for a lunch nap.

Forecast was for a bit of rain, so I wore my rain gear.  Rick dropped me off at the L-field.  I think this is the same field where I almost shot really-really late at some pigs that came out to my right, but I may be confusing that with another stand.
Weather was warm and a bit breezy.  Weather was quite comfortable and I was hoping I was going to dodge the rain.

At one point a buzzard flew down onto the corn pile and almost looked like it was eating corn.  But I suspect it was just eating grit.

Time passed slowly at first.  The stand wasn't very comfortable with no back and a waffle-slatted seat which made it at time feel like I was sitting on a cheese grater.  The stand also had a large wooden board above it - I can only assume this was some kind of sun shade.

All I could think though was that with the board, it felt like I was sitting in Lucy VanPelt's psychiatry stand.  Maybe Lucy was a pig hunter too?

Quite obviously, if I'm taking pictures of buzzards and thinking about Peanuts characters, my mind was wandering at a frantic pace.  This doesn't always help the time pass.

There were a few sprinkles through the afternoon, but not much more than that.  About an hour before it got dark, I saw movement at the far end of the field.  Light was fading so it took a bit before I saw it was from a deer.  She made her way to the corn pile along with a second deer.  These two deer were absolutely tiny.  Combined I doubt they weighed 100 pounds.  

They hung around for a little over a half an hour before they bolted.  Another deer wheezed at them and it made its way to the corn.
As it got dark, the rain started a little harder.  It wasn't a downpour, but more than sprinkles.  
Back in the truck nobody had seen any pigs, so it was quiet all around.

Denis and Claude were gracious and let me join them in their chicken and rice - which was a good way to end another day of pig hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment