Monday, September 4, 2023

2023 Bear Hunt Days 9 & 10 - Perspective

After a very late night (for me), I woke up and packed everything up as quietly as I could.  I met Vance and Dave by the boat house and got my bear loaded up.  It definitely wasn't frozen yet, but it was between cool and cold.  Since it was fully boned out, it easily fit into my two better coolers - including the hide and head.
Once settled up, I was sadly on the road.  Normally I like to be on the road crazy early, but the late night made that impossible - plus a couple extra hours of time in the freezer would help.  Leaving always comes with the somber reality that weeks like this past one must come to an end.
It was getting light soon after I left but I still saw one last hazy Manitoba sunrise.

I again took the 30 miles of gravel a bit to fast, but the Maverick handled it like a champion.  Traction control may be nanny-state, but it is probably a good thing sometimes.  At one point I saw an enormous feline in the road which I am still wondering what that could have been.  Maybe a lynx?
The border crossing was the easiest one I've ever had getting back into the US.  I think the border guard was more concerned that I didn't have a front license plate than anything else (this is no longer a requirement as of ~2020).  He asked if I had a license for my bear and walleye and said, "Have a nice day."  

I was listening to Ann Patchett's These Precious Days - I don't remember when I got this.  I had read her essay on getting rid of things and found it very good.  This was repeated in this book and unfortunately was one of the only good parts of the book.  Too much of Precious comes across as poorly attempted introspection, but falls into being self-centered instead.  As the book droned on, I was desperate for it to end and glad when it finally did.

Temperatures through the day rose steadily.  At one point I looked down and saw a temperature of over 100F and thought that my temp gauge must have been malfunctioning.  Nope...

This had me worried about the not-frozen meat in my cooler.  I talked with Little Sis a bit back and forth and she was able to find a grocery store that had dry ice - and! - went and got some for me.  She is absolutely the hero for the day.
Soon enough I was at her house and we moved my coolers out of the broiling outside.  Meat was cool, so it will be OK.  Even with the late start, we had a chance to visit for a while before letting the day end.

_______

After a couple cups of coffee with my sister, it was time to make the final leg home.  I packed everything up and hit the road.
The final drive home was uneventful.  There were only a few spots with moderate traffic, but being a holiday and relatively early, the roads were mostly clear.
There must have been some kind of Jeep gathering at a vacation area near home.  I realize jeeps handle like crap on the road, but live a little and use the right pedal a bit more...

I spent some time while driving reliving some of what was a very memorable bear hunt.  I've never been down to the wire like that.  While I never saw anything, I did like hunting the two mornings, although I don't think I'll immediately volunteer for this in the future.
I think for me, the short bit of time between when the sow with cubs had left and my bear came in really defines the hunt for me - as well as me as someone who hunts.  After the sow and cubs left, I said to myself that seeing them was a good way for the hunt to end.  And I meant it.  I'm still glad I was able to take a very large bear, but perspective is something which is helped by occasional reminders.

Once home it was a mad scramble to take care of all the bear meat, clean and pack thing away.  The next adventure is only a few weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment