I was up at my usual time and out the door around 3:30. I briefly panicked when I couldn't find my phone when it was in the case on my belt. I won't interpret that as sleepiness, just rushing a bit too much.
Once on the road, I kept the trucklette quiet for the first hour and thought back on the last week. Dizzying highs and lows of seeing the deer but initially passing, then getting a second chance. Watching Moose do and learn his thing. Hanging out with a great group of people. And suffering through some headaches which I just don't know what to do about. I sometimes wonder why I do this, especially when the deer at home are bigger, but then I have a week like this and I remember why.
Once on the interstate, I listened to Why Fish Don't Exist by Lulu Miller. For the first bit of the book, I wasn't too happy with my choice but after about the first 10-20%, my mind slowly changed. I'm not sure how to characterize the book. It is sciencey, but not overtly. It is about personal obsession (and probably about being neural atypical) and it is part personal narrative. I loved it.
It is a short book, so I listened to past episodes of This American Life for the remainder of the trip.
There was one slowdown near where I-75 and I-71 split. I tolerated it as well as I could as I was in going-home mode. The only close call I had on the trip was when an ugly woman tried to kill me as I moved out of her way while crossing the Ohio River. I guess I've learned not to expect much from someone whose intelligence can be so succinctly displayed by the middle finger on their obese tattooed arm.
Closer to home, my ill-timed route had me in a huge conga-line of cars behind workers repainting the center line on the road. This was a bit maddening, but detour onto backroads off the backroads had me home soon enough.
Once at home I unpacked and cleaned up a bit. I even had time to take the dogs on a short walk. Since all the meat was processed, that part was the easiest it had ever been. The only difficulty was finding room in the freezer; this continues to be a big problem at times. In fact, it is a problem I'm exceedingly fortunate to have.
By the end of the day, I was exhausted. I'm glad I'll still have a weekend to recover and continue to reflect.

No comments:
Post a Comment