Sunday, January 14, 2018

2018 Hog Hunt Day 2

After a night without sufficient sleep, I knew it was pointless to keep trying so I got up.
I took a shower and made coffee.  So as to not disturb my camp mates, I continued reading my David Foster Wallace book - not the best book I've ever read, but enough of his writing is good and it does make me think.  He also does get a little wordy sometimes.

Bob and Jesse were up a couple hours later and were out the door very quickly for their trip home.  That left me in camp alone.  I kept reading until mid morning when Rick and I went to feed stands.  Most of the stands were hit and with the changing weather, there was a lot of optimism.

Back at camp I tried to nap a little before heading out to hunt.  Temperatures were supposed to head down below freezing by dark, so I suited up in my snow suit I bought while headed west to hunt mule deer only a few months previous. 

I sat on the "Goose Pond" stand.  The first couple hours passed slowly as nothing much was moving.  The wind seemed to decrease through the evening which was nice and I had a few of those absolutely placid moments when the wind stopped for a time.  At least I was very comfortable as the new snow suit was very warm and comfy.

About 5:00 I saw movement and a hog came out.  It was reddish with dark splotches on it.  I looked at it, looked at it through the scope and looked at it some more deciding it must be about 50 pounds.  A few minutes after it came out, Rick texted me to ask if there was anything; the timing made me laugh in mock suspicion.  I told him a 50 pound hog was out then quick took a picture and texted it to him.

He told me to get him a broadside picture, but just then a bigger hog came out.  I told him that and dropped the phone - this one was a shooter.
I double checked the size through the scope and put the crosshairs on his head.  Squeezing the trigger, I thumped his noggin hard.  He kicked a few seconds but was dead before he hit the ground. 
I grabbed my phone again and Rick had texted to hold out as there were some really big ones.
Too late - I told him she was on the ground (at the time, I thought it was a sow).

I decided to sit for the rest of the evening in case more hogs showed up.  A short time later two deer popped out right in front of me.  They could have cared less about me, even though I was so close, but were very apprehensive about the hog on the corn pile.

They slowly walked down and fed for a minute or two, before disappearing into the pines.  When they were near the corn pile, I felt a little better about the size of the hog I had shot.  They always look really small on the ground, but it looked decent next to the deer.
A short time later a larger group of deer came out but only stayed a few minutes.

By this time it was getting quite dark and a short time after the deer left a hog, possibly the first one I had seen, came out.  I looked at it through the scope, but it was too dark to cleanly do a head shot so I held off.  This was definitely the right thing to do, especially with one already on the ground.

Rick and Will came a short time later.  We picked up the hog and headed out.  The amount of blood was quite impressive.  I took a picture, but it is too graphic to show here...

Back at the lodge Rick and I cleaned the boar; it was about 160 pound boar hog - still a good eating size although there was a bit of hog stink. 

Since it is so early in the hunt, I decided to get the meat processed  and frozen by a friend of Rick's who makes sausage.  Usually I do this myself, but in cases like this it just makes more sense to get it done.  I ran to Food Lion to get ice and plastic bags.  The backstraps, loins and ribs went into Rick's freezer - I'll finish dealing with them when I get home.  The rest of it will go to the sausage maker.

Things happen fast in hunting.  One minute I'm deep in my own thoughts and within a few minutes a hog is on the ground. 
After a quick dinner of Campbell's Chili I called it a night - after a great afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment