Thursday, January 18, 2018

2018 Hog Hunt Day 6

The morning started a little slow as school was delayed for Will due to the possibility of icy roads (although they were fine).  But after the slow start, Rick took Ken and Neil to drop Will off and feed stands.  Jim and I went to the shooting range.
Jim's rifle was several inches low - which likely explains his previous day's miss.  Back with a zeroed rifle, we stopped in town for some ice an lunch before heading back to the lodge for lollygag time.

Two O'clock rolled around soon enough and we headed out to hunt.  I was dropped off at a "world famous" blind that had looked good all week.  I think Jim had sat here his first evening.
The afternoon was sunny and cool, but in my snow suit in the sun, it was hot until the sun went behind trees.  It took a bit to get comfortable in the chair, especially since the chair was on a somewhat painful angle.

Deer meandered in and out of the corn pile most of the afternoon.  There were a few times when the deer left in such a way that I thought hogs might be in the area, but no hogs showed up.  At one point near dark I did hear something walking through the woods across the 2-track from me.  It was shortly after the deer had bolted out of the area.  I don't know what it was, but I was quite sure it wasn't a hog as hogs almost always scurry - whatever this was, it didn't sound like a hog.

I was facing west and shooting light ended fast; my hog hunting for 2018 ended with the shadows.
Nobody else in camp got a hog.  Ken had two very small ones come in, followed by a very large one which was probably the bar hog.  What I found very odd was that he had enough light to see the color of the hog, but said it was too dark to shoot.  Either he has a really crappy scope, or he is very conservative...

Back at the lodge, Ken and Neil packed up to leave as Neil had a flight out the following day.  Jim and I talked a bit before packing up to head out in the morning.  
After coming to hunt hogs in South Carolina for well over 10 years, this has probably been the coldest week ever.  A few cold days are not unusual, but almost all week was uncharacteristically cold.  
Still, it was fun as it always is.  Jim and I both booked up again for 2019.  I sometimes wonder if I should keep doing this. It isn't cheap and I don't get as many hogs as when we hunted the plantation.  But I'm just not sure what January would be without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment