Wednesday, January 17, 2018

2018 Hog Hunt Day 5

After the previous day's excitement, I had a bit of a hard time sleeping.  Once I was able to fall asleep, I slept OK.

I got up and poked around online; I'd already finished the book I had for the trip.  Temperatures were warm compared to the previous few days.  But the forecast was for rain later in the day with temperatures dropping.  Snow was even a possibility late - a rarity in southern South Carolina.

Jim and I went with Rick to drop Will off and feed up the stands.  Most of the stands looked good and with the cold front coming through I had a feeling it could be an exciting night.

Back at the lodge there was some down time.  Neil and Ken came in from Manhattan and nearby South Carolina respectively.  I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever been in a hunting camp with someone from Manhattan.  He may be the only Manhattanite to ever add hog hunting to his resume.

We all talked a bit before heading out.
I was dropped off at the Sandy Bottom stand.  There were two deer on the pile as I walked up and I was able to get into the stand without spooking them.  They hung around for a little less than an hour before they left.  Then I was on my own for quite some time.  There was still stuff to watch, including a cool hawk that sat in front of me for a while.

Weather during the afternoon was unpleasant.  It rained off and on, heavily at times.  Temperatures were tolerable in the low 40's.  I was appreciative of the roof on the box blind.

Towards sunset, I saw a dark spot on the corn pile and brought the gun up.  On closer inspection, it was the ass end of a deer, but in the low light with all the clouds it definitely didn't look like a deer at first.  I sat there as long as I could hoping that hogs would come in.  Text reports from Rick were that everyone else had seen hogs and shot at them.

Sadly, as it got dark, nothing but deer was seen and there was no subsequent noise from my rifle.
Back at the truck, Neil had shot two good eating size hogs (although he subsequently decided not to eat them and gave the meat to Rick).  Jim had shot at two hogs, or more likely the same hog twice, and missed.  Ken had shot at a hog near dark and put the bullet over top of it.
While I appreciated the roof on the box blind, I would have rather put up with the rain and seen hogs.

Back at camp, Rick gutted the hogs.  Both Jim and Ken had their shirt tails cut which is the Southern tradition for what needs to be done after a miss while hunting.
Winston stopped by with the ground sausage meat from my hog.  It looked good and the seasonings smelled good.  Temperatures overnight were expected to be in the low 20's so I wasn't too concerned with the meat at this point.

Dinner that night was ramen again, which felt pretty paltry compared to Neil and Ken's steaks.  They went big for dinner since they are only in camp one night.

I knew with the weather that hogs were likely.  And they were for most in camp.  That is the way it works - I was glad Jim got a shot at one - just wish I could have as well.  But either way, it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment