Tuesday, September 3, 2024

2024 Bear Hunt Day 3 - Goodbye To My Fishing Pole

I had slept about as well as I ever do which was rare in an unusual place.  Maybe I'm starting to relax?  Maybe...
After some coffee and putzing around, we all met at the lodge for a big breakfast.  Then Kevin took Matt and I fishing.

We went to a few of the bays below the rapids and worked the weedy edges.  Fishing was pretty slow.  Throughout the morning Matt and I combined hooked into somewhere around 10 pike.  None of them were big, but when fish hit, it is still quite fun.  A couple would have been keeper/eater size, but Kevin didn't say to keep any of them.
At one point my cast went wild.  This happens, but it also made a funny noise - I had lost an eyelet near the top of the rod.  I started to take they eyelet off to finish fishing, and when I did this I noticed the eyelet cup left a sharp edge that I didn't want near my line.  When I started to gently push this down with a small pliers, the pole disintegrated at the joint.  As best I can figure, it was a cheap rod/reel combo I could afford somewhere around 1992 during the poverty years of college.  I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.  
Thankfully Matt had an extra rod with him that he let me use.  On my first cast I caught a pike.  Matt balked (jokingly).  "OK Matt, half of this fish is yours..."  The mood in the boat was good even if the fishing was a bit slow.

By early afternoon we headed back to camp for lunch.  I had time for a quick nap and a shower, and it was time to head out for bears.
Kevin took me to Petrushney Bay (I still don't know how to spell it).  I've sat in this stand several times; I don't think I've ever shot a bear here, but have definitely seen them.

It took me a while to get comfortable.  Not because it was an uncomfortable stand - if anything the opposite.  But just getting into the groove of hunting took some time.  I let myself doze a little bit early on, knowing most activity would be likely to be later.  
The evening passed very slowly.  And the evening passed without any bears; this makes for a painfully long and slow time.
But there were many positives to the forced slow down.  The absolutely enormous crows were fun to watch.  There were some adorable birds (which I could not get a picture of) that kept sitting near me.  Whiskey Jacks are fun to watch and have a lot of lore associated with them in Canadian history.  Unfortunately, this luck can be either good or bad.  And so it is.  I have good luck to even be able to go on a Canadian bear hunt, but on this day I have bad, as I never saw a bear.

Thankfully the bugs were almost non-existent after the first few minutes in the stand.  There was enough wind that it made hearing much difficult, especially since I was sitting in some quaking aspens.  As often happens, when darkness approached, it got breathlessly still.  I was surprised that even sitting where I was, I could hear the roar of the dam.  I love being able to go to wild places, but it is truly difficult to escape the cacophony of humans.

I was the first hunter back in camp while the other people filtered in.  Matt and I had not seen bears, everyone else had.  Jody had shot a bear, but needed to return in the morning to look for it.  Most of the bears were smaller - one woman had an adorable video of a very young bear; I'll always freely admit some cognitive dissonance at shooting bears...  Kelly had seen five bears - all during the last 45 minutes on the stand.
After a very late salmon dinner, I bolted to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment