Monday, September 9, 2024

2024 Bear Hunt Day 8 - Binary Decisions

I woke up to a headache, but thankfully coffee magically helped.
I met Chris and Dave down by the dock at 6:00.  We piled into the boat and motored out of the bay.

I was dropped off at "Earl's Stand" which was a newer stand and so one I had never sat in before.  I really liked it.  It was comfortable and a good distance from the bait with a blocking ridge behind.  

I know mornings are less likely to be productive, but it was an absolutely beautiful morning.  Temperatures were cool with just a light breeze.  I love watching all the animals wake up; it even seems sometimes like the trees wake up in the morning.  Loons were wailing in this distance - I live for these placid moments.
But no bears showed up.  The most interesting thing that I saw was a weasel and it only stayed for about 30 seconds.
Dave came and picked me up late morning.  Chris had seen the big bear right after he was dropped off, but wasn't situated yet.  Likely that bear can be colored ... gone.

After lunch, I had a quick walk and then a nap before a final sit for bears.  I was down to the witching hour.  I met Dave, Chris and Lockler again down at the dock.  We motored out.
We initially checked Chris' morning bait (Holiday), but it hadn't been touched.  So we continued to go up river and I was dropped off at Ranger Station.  I likely have sat on the stand before, but not for a very long time.

The bait is very near the shore.  The wind had picked up and between the wind and the waves crashing against the shore it was impossible to hear anything.  But after approaching 40 hours on the bear stand, having noise and wind to cover was not a bad situation.

Not much happened for a few hours.  I replayed the past week's events over in my head.  I found myself thinking about home, and regrettably work.
Movement beyond the bait caught my attention.  I saw a bear at the edges milling around.  I watched it for about 15 minutes.  It finally came into the bait.
I watched the bear for a while longer.  I was having a very hard time judging the bear's size; this can be difficult on the best of days, but with the pressure of the hunt winding down, it was even more challenging.  I thought the bear might make six feet, but I was also realistic enough that thinking that could just be unrealistic wishfulness.  But shooting a bear is a binary decision; either the bullet leaves the barrel or it does not.  And what this also meant is that I may either go home with this bear or go home with a tag.  I'm not sure I felt great about any of the choices, but ultimately one choice would allow me to smoke bear shoulders once at home.
I waited for the bear to turn broadside and fired.
It ran out of where I could see and I heard it moan.  I knew it was over in seconds.  After things quieted down I got out of the stand and easily found it.  It was smaller than I thought, but one big lesson I've learned is that once the bullet leaves the chamber, I'm happy as long as what I am after is recovered.  I knelt down next to the bear.  It was a beautiful Manitoba bear with a gorgeous thick coat.

I know I'm unbelievably fortunate to have gone on nine successful bear hunts.

It was late, but I got back into the stand to wait to be picked up.  A little after dark Carter, Lockler and Chris came to get me.  Chris had seen a similar sized bear, but the stand creaked when he drew his bow.  He was going home with a tag, but he had a very realistic view of the situation.  As we left the bay, I sort of laughed at myself; by passing up on the larger bears Tuesday, I guess I had held out for a smaller bear.  But I was peacefully content with where this binary decision ended up, even if it was a "last day" bear.

On the way back to camp, I felt the "Lucky Penny" in my pocket.  As we boated through the rapids on the way back to camp, I threw the penny into the rapids.  The talisman had become a distraction; I sacrificed it to the gods of the river.

Back at camp, the guides made quick work of my bear.  We talked about the week as we all prepared to depart.  I'm somewhat amused how quickly we get to know each other in bear camp.  This was an exceptionally good group to hang out with.  The people at camp are almost like family at this point.
I booked again for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment