Tuesday, September 10, 2024

2024 Bear Hunt Days 9&10 - Home

I had partially packed up the evening before so I was able to have a quick cup of coffee while I finished getting ready to leave.  Dave had said to text him before I left and he would help me load up by bear.  I felt a bit bad about this - these guides seem to work 24/7.  But he met me near the freezer and I loaded up before a quick goodbye.  I pulled out onto the road at almost exactly 5:00.

I decided to avoid the gravel road on the way home.  This added about 20 miles, but no time and lessoned aggravation.  It might have been partially negated by some construction, but it made the dark morning a bit easier.
I was listening to Congratulations, Who Are You Again?: A Memoir by Harrison Scott Key.  It was pretty good.  I got a bit annoyed by how he kept talking about how funny he was.  There were some funny bits, but much of it felt a little bit forced.
As I motored through south Manitoba, I got one more sunrise, no doubt it would have been better if viewed through something other than a windshield; I did feel like I was one of the only people on the road.

I breezed through the border.  "Have any alcohol or tobacco?"
"Nope and nope."
"Have a nice day."

I finished Congratulations and overall it was good.  I liked the way his narrative told the story about how dreams change as he discovered he was already living his dream.
I find it frustrating how Ford allows me to sort of search for what I want on my USB stick, but then only teases and disables the ability to scroll.  This is more dangerous than letting me quickly find what I want since I try and fail ... and try and fail ... and try and fail...  
I may have to move up a few years and put my books and podcasts on my phone before I leave on my adventures.  Or, heaven forbid, stream them...

US2 was surprisingly tolerable before I worked my way down to the interstate which was annoying, especially when I neared Madison.  My sister texted me to suggest I go an alternate route since there was some kind of bike/marathon thing near where she lived.  I got to her house with time to get caught up.  

In the morning I was once again on the road for the last leg toward home.  The final part of the drive went smooth enough.  Indy sucked, but what else is new.
At home, SO had mowed the lawn.  She is wonderful.  This made the final work of unpacking, taking care of a bear and cleaning up much easier.  
The next adventure is only a few weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment