Sunday, September 29, 2024

2024 SC Deer Hunt Day 1 - A New Route

It has been a chaotic week.
  • Work:  An absolute mess.  Too much to do made worse by management-created problems - years in the making approaching rapidly.  I turned a coworker away when she asked me for help and my frustration was up to 11.  To be clear, it was something my manager doesn't want me doing and it isn't part of my job, but having accepted the blunt realization my career is over, I generally do what I can now to help people.  I feel terrible about this.
  • Weather:  Hurricane Helene came through turning everything windy, sultry, humid and wet.  Gross.  The week ahead looks like wet will continue.
  • Home:  The lawn needs mowed (of course) and fall chores are lurking.  
  • Personal:  A family issue is looming.  I may be a terrible person.

But!
  • I was able to leave work with my inbox in a decent place.  And the work will be there when I get back.
  • While Hurricane Helene was brutal*, we did need the rain and there was no significant damage locally (I'm not minimizing the devastating impact Helene had South).
  • The world won't end due to long, sodden grass.  I have must-use vacation days coming to take care of fall chores.
  • While I may be a terrible person, I'm also able to accept my faults.
*Apparently Helene was more brutal than I originally knew.  I-26 was shut down and I-40 was gone in Western NC. I know this is much worse for many people in that area.

_______________________________

After a Saturday getting a few things done and packing up the trucklette, Sunday morning arrived.  With all the roads closures, I had to choose a new route.  I also parked my Garmin GPS to take advantage of the slightly more real-time traffic and road information with my phone.  This was not to be my typical brainless drive that I'm used to.

I was out the door around 3:30.  It was raining, but roads were clear.  I had to argue a bit with my phone to get it to go the way I wanted.  It did give me a route through Western North Carolina, but I didn't trust it.  All it would take would be one road closure to create problems.  Plus, the roads that were open were likely to be difficult.

So I routed east then south.  The drive went easy enough.  I was listening to How to Stay Married by Harrison Scott Key.  I had almost deleted this book since his other book was only mediocre.  I was sooooo glad I didn't though.  This was a totally different book and was beautifully written - it was almost lyrical in many places.  It was both funny and sad, sometimes at the same time.  In fact, I'm I actually glad I read his other book since it did, in some ways, set things up for this one.  One of the negatives about listening to books is I couldn't write down some of the better quotes.  And searching for them didn't help me find them either - possibly because his writing can be pretty polarizing, and this is (obviously) a polarizing subject.  I was surprised how much of a religious tone the book had since that wasn't a major tenet of his other book, but unlike some reviews I saw, I didn't find this off-putting; he was telling his story.
But the book made the drive go exceedingly fast.

Right near the West Virginia/Virginia border there was a bear dead on the side of the road.  It briefly brought me back to Manitoba.

The only negative with my route was that I was on 2-lane roads for the last couple hours.  But I guess ... that is the same with my other route too.  I'll probably get to see how it is on the way home.

I got to Rick's just as three guys were getting ready to go out.  I was in the small bedroom with Kevin who I hunted with the previous year.  I unpacked and got as settled as I could.  As I was unpacking, I realized I forgot my binoculars.  I don't use them for hogs, but not having them for deer could be a real handicap.

There were three other guys plus Kevin in camp.  Kevin wasn't hunting either so we lollygagged around camp and took a walk down to the river.  The three out hunting all saw several deer, but no shooters.
Dinner was rice and black eyed peas before turning in relatively early.

No comments:

Post a Comment